1. 1. Today, women in America who work full time, year-round are paid only 77 cents on average for every dollar paid to their white male counterparts.
2. 2. The wage gap is even larger for women of color.
African-American women who work full time, year round generally earn only 64 cents to a white, non-Hispanic man’s dollar and Latina women working full time, year round make just 54 cents for every dollar paid to white, non-Hispanic males.
3. 3. And moms experience some of the most extreme wage hits.
A Columbia University study found that with equal resumes and job experiences, mothers were offered $11,000 lower starting salaries than non-mothers (fathers, on the other hand, were offered $6,000 more in starting salaries than non-fathers).
4. 4. In fact, maternal status is now a bigger predictor of wage discrimination than gender.
5. 5. It all adds up. College-educated women who joined the work force between 1984 and 2004 have lost $1.7 trillion in income as a result of the wage gap.
6. 6. A lifetime of lower pay means women are at a serious disadvantage when it comes to saving for retirement. A fact that makes us feel very nauseous.
7. 7. When the Equal Pay Act was passed in 1963, women earned 59 cents for every dollar men earned. Since then the wage gap has narrowed only 18 cents and it’s stagnated in the last decade. We totally get Sally’s outrage.
At the rate we’re going, it will take at least another 45 years for the wage gap to close. That’s seriously messed up.
9. After all, we’re all in this together. Closing the wage gap isn’t just a woman’s issue. It’s important for our family’s economic security, as well as for our entire national economy.
In fact, when women succeed, America succeeds. It’s that simple.
So raise your voice for fair pay!
10. P.S. How we feel about elected officials who vote against paycheck fairness.
11. P.P.S. How we feel about elected officials who work to close the wage gap.
P.P.P.S. Ready to rumble?! Take action with @MomsRising to help move the Paycheck Fairness Act through Congress: http://action.momsrising.org/sign/NoMadMenPay/?source=buzzfeed