1. Problem: Mom won’t let me play with real kids because of the polio scare.
Solution: I brought in some cuter companions.
2. Problem: No family car to tie the tree to.
Solution: Brought in my bros to assist.
3. Problem: Can’t picture where my dad is stationed.
Solution: Went out to find the bigger picture.
4. Problem: Can’t achieve that Shirley Temple glow.
Solution: Used my dog to save face.
5. Problem: Forced downstairs by air raid.
Solution: Brought out (and totally owned) Dominos.
6. Problem: Dad went off to sea.
Solution: Brought in a stand in.
7. Problem: Air raid drills are scary.
Solution: Threw an epic dance party to cheer up.
8. Problem: No money for gas.
Solution: Found some free horse power.
9. Problem: Food is rationed.
Solution: Grew only gigantic produce.
10. Problem: Lost my ticket for “The Wizard of Oz.”
Solution: Found some cheaper entertainment.
11. Problem: Candy’s hard to come by.
Solution: Enjoyed it as much as possible when I could.
12. Problem: Talk of war and poverty is stressful.
Solution: Was someone else, somewhere else for a while.
- Nicholas Winton, who saved more than 650 Jewish children from the Holocaust, died at 106.
- The U.S. and Cuba have agreed to open embassies in Washington and Havana as they restore diplomatic ties after more than 50 years.