1. Scottish Wildcats are awesome. They look almost exactly like cats but with a more intense resting face.
4. They’re actually (well obviously) the ancestors of our domestic pet cats…
5. … but there are FEWER THAN 400 left in the wild.
This website says there are only 100.
6. They were once found across the British mainland but are now only found in the Scottish Highlands. It’s actually more rare to see a Scottish Wildcat than a Bengali tiger.
7. Still, wildcats are the most abundant wild cat species from the Western Europe to India.
9. Their numbers are dwindling because humans are the worst. The wildcats are also breeding with domestic cats.
10. In the 1800s and 1900s, thousands of wildcats were killed as pests.
As I said, humans are the worst.
11. And since 2007, there have been about 1500 wildcat sightings.
12. Have I mentioned they’re really cute as kittens?
Because they are.
13. Unfortunately, due to lack of funding, the biggest Scottish Wildcat awareness group dissolved in 2013.
Luckily, there is a new organization called the Highland Tiger taking up the initiative.
To wrap things up…