1. In 1972, the Department of Health, Education, and Welfare and NASA started a television network meant to be an “informative/instructional network focused on providing real education through the medium of TV.”
3. In 1980 the network was privatized and became “The Learning Channel.”
5. They showed programs like these:
7. The channel concentrated on educational programming until the late ’90s when it started shifting focus.
Here Are Today's Top Stories
- Police confirmed 71 people, likely refugees who fled Syria, were found dead in a truck abandoned in Austria. The suspected drivers have been arrested. ›
- Florida Gov. Rick Scott declared a state of emergency due to the "severe threat" posed to his state by Tropical Storm Erika. ›
- President Obama marked a decade of recovery after Hurricane Katrina, citing gains, but also the immense amount of work that he said still needs to be done. ›