Staten Island was one of the areas hardest hit by Hurricane Sandy.
Just complete, utter devastation…
1. But now the people of Staten Island are rebuilding.
4. Neighbors are coming together.
9. Families are pitching in.
This picture was captioned on Instagram: “The Fleming family decided to drive around Staten Island giving out free coffee. Even that one cup of hot coffee made a big difference to people. New Yorkers are really getting on board these days by volunteering in the disaster areas. It’s a beautiful uplifting thing.”
14. Flags are being raised.
16. Supplies handed out.
17. Memories are being found.
Kate Traina looks at a strip of photographic negatives as she joined other family members as they were salvaging items from her grandparents’ home.
18. Pets are being reunited with their owners.
This picture was captioned: “So we’re cleaning at this house along the shore and all of the sudden we hear screaming… The family found their cat that they’ve been calling for days!”
23. But the people of Staten Island, along with our help, will make it.
- Fox News has announced the 10 Republican candidates who will participate in the first debate of the 2016 U.S. presidential race on Thursday.
- The world's record-breaking freediver, Natalia Molchanova, is feared dead after having disappeared while diving off the coast of Spain on Sunday.
- Super Typhoon Soudelor, the strongest storm of 2015 so far, is threatening parts of Asia after hitting the Pacific island Saipan.