1. FAB: These ladies from Texas
Love how they totally own the “Texas look.” I know denim skirts get a bad rap, these ladies are totally owning it. Fab!
2. Drab: This guy who carried a giant metal sign around the arena in circles
A giant metal sign is not a proper accessory!!!
3. FAB: THESE. SHOES.
I mean… how could I not fab these.
4. DRAB: Beanie Baby hat lady
You can’t just attach a Beanie Baby to your hat!! That is not a thing!! (I do like the bird, though.)
5. FAB: THIS lady who wore a Beanie Baby on her head
Now THIS is how you wear a Beanie Baby on a hat!
6. FAB: Bear hat Evangelical lady
She has a bear… on her hat. ‘Nough said. Mega fab.
7. Drab: Raging Granny with a giant metal spoon
I don’t get it.
8. FAB: This couple wearing matching yellow suits
Yellow suits! Love how he totally doesn’t give a care about wearing sneakers with it. Bold look for a bold dude. Also, they’re a totally fab couple. I LOVE COUPLE COSTUMES!
9. DRAB: This blue blazer
BLUE? Really???? It’s the RNC. At the RNC you wear red. End of story. Bye.
10. FAB: Fringe lady
Love fringe. It’s really in in Spain right now.
11. DRAB: The delegates from Colorado
Colorado, I wanted to love you. I really did. I just wanted some more originality. You’re not Texas!
12. FAB: Abe Lincoln
He’s Abe Lincoln. Totally legendary, he’s like the inventor of fab.
13. FAB: Montana
Montana delegates had these awesome denim vests. Prints are in this season, so this is, too. Also, I think denim vests are an underutilized fashion medium.
14. FAB: Feather hats
Simple fab elegance.
15. DRAB: This sweater/shirt
Too confusing for me. Ain’t nobody got time for (reading) that!
16. FAB: These blinged-out sunglasses with matching earring bling
Bling is SUPER, BEYOND in at the RNC this year. I absolutely adore the detail on these glasses. Mega fab.
17. DRAB: Mitt Romney trucker hats
A lot of people were wearing these trucker hats on the floor. Derrr-ab.
18. FAB: Kansas basketball guy
19. FAB: The Wicked Witch
20. FAB: Gold elephant belt lady
I love elephant belts. I also love American prints. Werk, Elephant Belt Lady!
21. FAB: Fighter planes and American flag shirt guy
Very fun. Fab and fresh (F&F). But seriously, this is awesome.
22. FAB: American flag cowboy boots
Another unconventional choice that totally blew my mind. FAB FAB FAB.
23. FAB: Vagina lady
Realistic-ish. Also daring.
24. DRAB: California
A pin. That’s it. That’s all that distinguished California from the other delegates. More effort, please!
25. FAB: This lady from Hawaii whose lei lit up
Hawaii wore Hawaiian shirts. Typical, but fab. Hawaiian print is in in Europe or something.
AND her lei lit up. I love a little pizzazz
26. FAB: The ladies of North Dakota
Love the simple black shirt with the fab rhinestones. Not too flashy, yet not too boring. Faaaab.
27. DRAB: New Mexico
New Mexico had teal polos. Points for having a matching theme, but I just can’t fab a polo! I do like that color, though.
28. FAB: This elephant stuffed animal
Great use of accessories.
29. FRAB: (Hidden) tiny hat lady
Frab = fab + drab combined.
Okay, so if you know my fashion sense, then you know how much I love tiny hats. Always fab. So, I wanted to mega fab this, but I can’t. Get the feathers out of the way, lady. I want to see your little hat!
30. FAB: West Virginia American flag suspenders guy
All the delegate from West Virginia wore hard hats. This guy totally stood out and demanded attention with his American flag suspenders. FAB.
31. DRAB: Liberal occupy couple
Too forward for my liking. I would also like a sparkle or two.
32. FAB: Tea bag fuzzy pink cowboy hat lady
Yes, I know what you’re thinking right now: “Tea bags are so 2010.” And yes they are, BUT, I’ve never seen them attached to a fuzzy pink cowboy hat.
33. FAB: This lady’s sweater/earrings combo
Simple homemaker chic. Really fab.
34. Drab: Guy who thinks it’s the 1920s
It’s not the 1920s.
35. FAB: Shirley Wiseman’s bag
LOVE the simple elephant detail. If you’re not going the FUCK YEAH AMERICA route, this is a perfect look.
36. FRAB: Oklahoma
This is what most of the delegates from Oklahoma wore.
And I know it totally violates my blue rule… but I just can’t fall in love with that patch. Patches are in. FRAB.
37. FAB: This dude from American Samoa
Love the “traditional” aspect of his outfit. Also daring.
38. FAB: Marijuana beanie man
An excellent example of how to “wear your cause.” We know exactly what’s up. F-A-B.
39. FAB: Ron Paul dog
Definitely the best dressed canine at the RNC. Love the subtly of his Ron Paul support. A+.
40. FAB: Elephant belt lady #2
Another elephant belt! Yes! LOVE this design. It’s like a classy version of human centipede with elephants. Dare I say daring?!
41. DRAB: The gogo boys at the GOProud party
I understand it’s a party for gay Republicans so it was conservative, but GIVE ME A BREAK. There is entirely not enough skin showing. Also, those jeans. Drab drab drab.
42. FAB: This lady’s big toe.
43. DRAB: Jester hats
I might have liked this more in the Medieval Times. Drab.
44. FAB: Beer hat dude
To be totally honest I don’t get it, but I do love fashion risks. This was most daring/original hat choice at the convention.
45. FAB: Sequined vest lady
Yes! Finally! This is what fab is all about. Sequins, baby!
46. DRAB: The RNC 2012 visors
I know we’re in Florida, buuuut it’s a visor. You’re not supposed to wear these! BEYOND drab.
All photos by Matt Stopera. By the way, I know absolutely nothing about fashion. Sorry!
We've got your WKND covered.
- A Guatemalan judge ordered former President Otto Perez Molina held in jail overnight while hearings over the corruption scandal that led to his resignation take place. ›
- Prosecutors will seek the death penalty for Dylann Roof, accused of killing nine people in a Charleston church in June. ›
- The Justice Dept. has tightened rules on cell phone tracking, forcing federal agencies to get a warrant. ›