2. She was the founding member of the Sloth Sanctuary of Costa Rica…
3. …and maintains residency in a basket 24/7. She never leaves the basket. Really, the basket is her life.
4. BuzzFeed was granted special access to the elusive sloth-teuse and we were able to get a rare insight into what it’s like being the world’s most famous sloth.
5. 7:00 a.m.: Buttercup slowly comes to life. She awakens. Buttercup waits (kind of) patiently for her first delivery of leafy greens. She motions to the help.
6. 7:05 a.m.: Buttercup turns around. She is still sleepy. “My greens. My greens, please.” She yells.
7. 7:10 a.m.: Her greens are delivered. She begins her beauty regime. Buttercup exfoliates her sloth face.
8. 7:12 a.m.: Exfoliation is exhausting. Beauty is so boring. She sleeps.
9. 8:05 a.m.: Buttercup suddenly awakes with a confused expression on her face. She overslept, again. Shit. Her adoring masses of loyal fans are coming soon.
10. 8:06 a.m.: Buttercup resumes her beauty regime.
11. 8:10 a.m.: Buttercup stops for a quick nosh. Everything she eats is organic. “It’s good for my skin and mood,” she says.
12. 8:20 a.m.: Buttercup stops for another nap. She sleeps kind of a lot.
13. 8:30 a.m.: Buttercup wakes up and eats more leaves. They keep her trim and fit. It’s hard being in the public eye all the time.
14. 9:00 a.m.: Buttercup sits on a perch and motions to her help that she’s ready.
15. 10:01 a.m.: Buttercup looks toward her fans. She loves her fans.
16. 10:02 a.m: Last-minute touches on her nails. She’s ready for her fans.
17. 10:07 a.m.: Buttercup whispers, “Hi, fans.”
18. 10:10 a.m: Face on. Nails done. It’s showtime.
And by showtime, she means just sit there and be a sloth. She compares herself to the likes of Kim Kardashian and Elizabeth Taylor. Her life is perfect parts glamour and exposé.
19. 10:11 a.m: “Come on now, fans. Don’t be shy. I don’t really bite. I’m a sloth.”
20. 10:12 a.m: Buttercup poses for her fans.
21. 10:20 a.m.: Buttercup announces she’s had enough from said fans.
22. 10:25 a.m.: Buttercup turns around for a nap.
23. 10:26 a.m.: She screams back at her fans. “I love you fans! I am here because of you, fans!”
24. 11:45 a.m.: Buttercup awakes with a burst of vigor. She slept through some fan visits. Her bad.
25. 11:49 a.m.: Buttercup begins grooming.
“It’s funny because people don’t realize what goes into being Buttercup. It’s a full-time job!”
26. 11:52 a.m.: She exfoliates her arms. Her arms are her signature body part. She compares them to J.Lo’s “booty.” “It’s what people come to see, ” she says.
27. 12:22 p.m.: Buttercup takes a selfie for her many millions of Instagram followers. It’s how she keeps in touch with her people. “Costa Rica can be so isolating, but I love it,” she says.
28. 12:30 p.m.: More fans arrive. Buttercup turns to greet them.
29. 12:45 p.m.: It’s a shitshow. Bulbs flashing. People shouting. Buttercup poses through the chaos.
30. This lasts for a solid hour and a half.
31. 3:30 p.m.: The chaos is over for now. Buttercup moves to her top lair. She calls it her “penthouse.” She smiles.
32. 3:45 p.m.: Last call! Day is almost up. Buttercup is exhausted.
33. 4:05 p.m.: Buttercup finishes her day with a couple of late fans. They apologize. She doesn’t mind.
34. 4:30 p.m.: Buttercup gets a well-deserved nap before dinner.
35. 5:45 p.m.: Dinner. More leaves. She reveals she’s on a “cleanse.”
36. 5:55 p.m.: Buttercup does a quick photo shoot for a sloth-interest magazine based out of Honduras.
37. 6:00 p.m.: Buttercup is sleeping. Again.
38. 7:15 p.m.: Buttercup is still sleeping.
39. 7:30 p.m.: Buttercup wakes up to eat some more leaves. Her metabolism is slow. It’s a constant battle, she says.
40. 8:00 p.m.: It’s getting dark. Buttercup shows me the manicure she got last week. It’s very nice.
41. 8:35 p.m.: Buttercup begins her pre-bed ritual with stretching. “Staying lose is key. I’m a sloth.” We laugh.
42. 9:00 p.m.: A last-minute snack to get her through the night.
43. 10:00 p.m.: Buttercup yawns. She’s out. Another successful day of slothing. When I asked her what keeps her going she goes on about her fans: “My fans. I do it for my fans.”
Such a class act.
- Justice Antonin Scalia, the conservative heart of the U.S. Supreme Court for more than a decade, has died. He was 79.
- Scalia was the current court's longest-serving justice, having been nominated in 1986 by President Ronald Reagan.
- Republicans are extremely unlikely to confirm anyone that President Obama nominates in the final months of his second term.