Training for the opportunity to compete in the Winter Olympics is basically a full-time job, and it’s also a job that doesn’t come with a very big paycheck. Most Olympians can’t resolve this problem with million-dollar sponsorships, so they have to work normal jobs at the same time. Today, Olympians of the past, present and (hopefully) future gathered at the Road to Sochi 100 Day Countdown event put on by the United States Olympic Committee in Times Square, and we asked 17 of them what they did when they weren’t busy being Olympian.
3. Travis Jayner, speedskating (2010 Olympic bronze medalist)
4. Katherine Reutter, speedskating (2010 Olympic silver medalist)
5. Elana Meyers, bobsled (2010 Olympic bronze medalist)
6. Jazmine Fenlator, bobsled (two-time World Cup medalist)
The pilot of the U.S. two-woman sled is a jack of all trades.
7. Emily Hughes, figure skating (2006 Olympian)
8. Sarah Hughes, figure skating (2002 Gold Medalist)
Since retiring from competitive skating Hughes has done non-profit work and earned her degree at Yale.
9. Denis Petukhov & Melissa Gregory, figure skating
Find out more about EduSkating here.
10. Julie Chu, ice hockey (three-time Olympic medalist)
11. Cameron Myler, luge (four-time Olympian)
Myler is an adjunct professor at NYU.
12. Torin Yater-Wallace, freestyle skiing (five-time Winter X Games medalist)
All the freestyle skiers we talked to were lucky enough to make a living from freestyle skiing. Yater-Wallace wrote down that he’d like to be pro skateboarder. He’s not, but he’d like to be.
13. Nick Goepper, freestyle skiing (two-time Winter X Games medalist)
He’s not lying. Check out @NickGoepper on Twitter.
14. Alex Schlopy, freestyle skiing (2011 Winter X Games gold medalist)
Check out @aschlopy on Twitter. Fun does actually appear to be his full-time job.
15. Dean Gemmell, curling
Gemmell co-authored a book on curling in 2009 with Canadian gold medalist John Morris named Fit to Curl: Sport Specific Training for the World’s Greatest Game.
17. Monica Walker, curling
18. Heath McCormick, curling
All photos taken by BuzzFeed.
- California Republican Kevin McCarthy has dropped out of the race to be the next speaker of the U.S. House. ›
- FIFA has suspended its president Sepp Blatter, secretary general Jerome Valcke, and vice-president Michel Platini for 90 days. ›
- Congressional Democrats are urging the TSA to change its screening procedures for transgender passengers. ›