The Yankees’ Mariano Rivera is retiring at the end of this season after a long career as a well-liked and respected closer, and all year teams throughout MLB have been presenting him with gifts.
So what the hell do you give a 12-time All Star and five-time World Series champion? What is left in the world for a man who already has everything? The Minnesota Twins had a pretty good answer for that question: they gave Rivera a rocking chair made of bats broken by Mo’s trademark cut fastball.
5. “Oh man, thanks so much! Who told you guys I was in the market for a rocking chair?!?”
6. “I mean, gottdaym. That’s a lovely piece of furniture.”
7. “Hell yeah, I’m totally putting that on the front porch! I’m gonna read books while sitting in it, too!”
- The first group of what is expected to be several thousand refugees arrived in Germany after a delayed journey through Hungary and Austria. ›
- Rowan County, Kentucky, issued several marriage licenses, but their validity is being questioned because jailed clerk Kim Davis's name isn't on them. ›
- U.S. Vice President Joe Biden said he isn't sure he has the "emotional energy" to run for president. ›