1. He’s a warrior!
When NBC’s Olympic coverage began this Thursday, Costas was battling a noticeable eye infection that rendered him unable to put in his contact lenses. But Bob wasn’t going to let a measly eye infection stop him from delivering the goods. Why? Because champions play hurt.
2. He can do it all.
Name a sport and he’s probably announced it. From the NFL to the Kentucky Derby, baseball, basketball, college football, and the Olympics, Costas has done it all.
3. Rappers name-check him.
Ludacris isn’t the only rapper to have done it, either.
5. He’s quite simply the best interviewer in sports.
6. He knows the right questions and he isn’t afraid to ask them.
7. He has no problem speaking his mind.
Name a controversial topic and Bob Costas has an opinion on it. He’ll let you know. He has spoken out about gun control and the Washington Redskins name change. He doesn’t mind stirring up the conversation and never shies away from controversy.
8. He’s not a robot.
Contrary to popular belief.
9. He was in the cult comedy classic Pootie Tang…
10. And the irreverent sports classic BASEketball.
11. He makes time for photos with the forgotten members of the Backstreet Boys.
12. He found out Ichiro’s favorite — and incredibly vulgar — American phrase.
13. He has the easy good looks of a Kennedy.
14. He narrated the best college football intro of all time.
15. THE HAIR.
If that’s a toupee it’s the greatest damn toupee ever made.
And most importantly…
- Chicago police chief Garry McCarthy has resigned after backlash from the police shooting death of Laquan McDonald. ›
- It's World AIDS Day — 35 million people have died from AIDS-related conditions, and more than 34 million people are living with the disease. ›
- Cyber Monday 2015 could be the biggest online sales day in history, according to data from Adobe. Shoppers are on track to spend nearly $3 billion 💳📲 ›