1. Last week, Michelle Obama joined the campaign to #BringBackOurGirls, for the hundreds of schoolgirls kidnapped by the Islamist group Boko Haram in Nigeria.
2. The backlash came swiftly, with Twitter users calling out the administration’s policy of using drones around the world.
3. The hashtags were direct — #WeCantBringBackOurDead.
5. Some Photoshopped the sign Michelle Obama was holding in her Instagram pic.
9. Here the Photoshopped image shows a giant picture recently laid out in Pakistan to draw the attention of U.S. drone operators to child victims.
10. This image shows a picture of Abdulrahman al-Awlaki, a 16-year-old U.S. citizen killed in a drone strike in Yemen.
11. A final Photoshopped image shows Malala Yousafzai, the young Pakistani activist who has been active in drawing attention to the Nigerian schoolgirls, holding Photoshopped commentary on the drone strike campaign.
Miriam Elder is the world editor for BuzzFeed News and is based in New York. Her secure PGP fingerprint is 7217 BCE0 F2F3 1AD8 943A B334 208B 3E4A 03F4 6E9D
Contact Miriam Elder at firstname.lastname@example.org.
In The News Today
- A Guatemalan judge ordered former President Otto Perez Molina held in jail overnight while hearings over the corruption scandal that led to his resignation take place. ›
- Prosecutors will seek the death penalty for Dylann Roof, accused of killing nine people in a Charleston church in June. ›
- The Justice Dept. has tightened rules on cell phone tracking, forcing federal agencies to get a warrant. ›