1. On Saturday, CNN journalist Ivan Watson was reporting from Istanbul’s iconic Taksim Square on the one-year anniversary of the Gezi Park protests, which sparked waves of demonstrations against the government and subsequent police crackdowns.
2. Watson, standing near a police line, described the city’s heavy security presence. Police ordered Gezi Park closed Saturday to prevent expected protests.
3. Then plainclothes officers suddenly surrounded him. We are being detained,” Watson told viewers. “I’m being kicked,” he added before the camera cut.
4. Police soon after released the CNN crew. Watson explained on Twitter that police did not believe his official Turkish press card was real.
- Protesters marched in Chicago for the second night in a row after the release of a video showing the police shooting of black teen Laquan McDonald. ›
- Frank Gifford's family says the NFL star had CTE, the degenerative brain disease linked to football. He died in August. ›
- And President Obama actually made his daughters laugh at the annual White House turkey pardon. ›