1. On Saturday, CNN journalist Ivan Watson was reporting from Istanbul’s iconic Taksim Square on the one-year anniversary of the Gezi Park protests, which sparked waves of demonstrations against the government and subsequent police crackdowns.
2. Watson, standing near a police line, described the city’s heavy security presence. Police ordered Gezi Park closed Saturday to prevent expected protests.
3. Then plainclothes officers suddenly surrounded him. We are being detained,” Watson told viewers. “I’m being kicked,” he added before the camera cut.
4. Police soon after released the CNN crew. Watson explained on Twitter that police did not believe his official Turkish press card was real.
Here Are The Top Stories
- Fox News has announced the 10 Republican candidates who will participate in the first debate of the 2016 U.S. presidential race on Thursday.
- The World Health Organization says new cases of Ebola in Sierra Leone and Guinea hit the lowest point in more than a year last week.
- Super Typhoon Soudelor, the strongest storm of 2015 so far, is threatening parts of Asia after hitting the Pacific island Saipan.