1. This is 15-year-old Pakistani Aitzaz Hasan, who died on Monday Jan. 6, when he reportedly tackled a suspected suicide bomber who sought to target his school.
2. Hasan’s story has inspired an outpouring of praise on Twitter. Pakistani and Western media have been filled with emotional commentary from his family.
Count de Monet
We Are All Aitzaz Today. #onemillionaitzaz
â€œMy son made his mother cry, but saved hundreds of mothers from crying for their children.â€ Father of Shaheed Aitzaz Hasan. #respect
4. Many have described him as a selfless national hero, calling him a shaheed, Arabic for martyr. Some have likened him to Malala Yousafzai, the Pakistani girl attacked for her fight for female education.
Malala risked her life for education but Aitzaz sacrificed his life for those who seek education #OneMillionAitzaz
The Nation is proud of you.
The case of #AitzazBraveheart epitomises: ‘one who kills one has killed all of humanity. One who saves one has saved all of humanity. #quran
7. Exact details of Hasan’s death have not been verified. According to reports, Hasan stopped to question a suspicious looking man by his school. The man ran away. Hasan jumped on him and ignited a hidden bomb. But in his death many have tried to see hope.
#onemillionaitzaz Aitzaz has shown that we are not short of real heroes.
Glad to hear that Aitzaz Hassan has been acknowledged for his sacrifice & honored for it by the state #AitzazBraveheart #PowerOfSocialMedia
9. The former Pakistani Ambassador to the U.S. has called on the government to award Hasan the highest state honor. Many more have seconded her call.
The Nishan-i-Haider will be saving grace for the govt’s lack of courage. Aitzaz has already honored us with his sacrifice.#onemillionaitzaz
Hangu’s shaheed Aitzaz Hasan is #Pakistan’s pride. Give him a medal at least. Another young one with heartstopping courage #AitzazBraveheart
12. Malala has also spoken out in Hasan’s honor.
Murtaza Ali Shah
Malala Yousufzai: I feel proud that I belong to a country where brave and courageous people like Aitzaz Hasan (Shaheed) are born
Murtaza Ali Shah
I wish that in giving his own life Shaheed Aitzaz Hasan has helped to bring peace to my people and my country, says Malala Yousufzai
14. Hasan’s story has also raised discussion among Pakistanis over how to deal with the violence that continues to plague and divide their country.
No more children sacrificed to war #onemillionaitzaz #aitzazbraveheart
15. “How many people’s blood do you want, oh soil of the country.”
Tujhe Kitnon Ka Lahoo Chahye Aiy Arz-e-Watan #onemillionaitzaz
16. Hasan reportedly lived in a Shia-dominated region of north-western Pakistan where the Taliban and al-Qaeda have a strong presence and sectarian violence is a common occurrence.
#Pakistan’s future is bright. Brave ones are springing up in the land. First; #Malala, now it is Aitzaz #onemillionaitzaz #AitzazBraveheart