1. This is 15-year-old Pakistani Aitzaz Hasan, who died on Monday Jan. 6, when he reportedly tackled a suspected suicide bomber who sought to target his school.
This Pakistani boy really deserves some recognition. He IS a true hero.
— Kayti (@kaytikloudkickr)
2. Hasan’s story has inspired an outpouring of praise on Twitter. Pakistani and Western media have been filled with emotional commentary from his family.
We Are All Aitzaz Today.
— Count de Monet (@SalooDurrani)
“My son made his mother cry, but saved hundreds of mothers from crying for their children.”
Father of Shaheed Aitzaz Hasan. #respect
— Imran Asghar (@PakCricket_Imy)
4. Many have described him as a selfless national hero, calling him a shaheed, Arabic for martyr. Some have likened him to Malala Yousafzai, the Pakistani girl attacked for her fight for female education.
Malala risked her life for education but Aitzaz sacrificed his life for those who seek education #OneMillionAitzaz
— TY Khan (@TayyabYounis)
The Nation is proud of you.
— Hashtag (@ComicRao)
7. Exact details of Hasan’s death have not been verified. According to reports, Hasan stopped to question a suspicious looking man by his school. The man ran away. Hasan jumped on him and ignited a hidden bomb. But in his death many have tried to see hope.
9. The former Pakistani Ambassador to the U.S. has called on the government to award Hasan the highest state honor. Many more have seconded her call.