1. Basketball was invented in 1891 by James Naismith in Springfield, Massachusetts.
2. It’s illegal to make clam chowder with tomatoes in Massachusetts.
3. Volleyball was invented in 1895 by William Morgan in Holyoke, Mass.
The stilts presumably came later.
4. Massachussetts actually has a state polka, it’s called “Say Hello To Someone From Massachusetts”.
5. The official state dessert of Massachusetts is Boston cream pie.
6. The first subway system in the US was actually in Boston and not NYC.
7. Whirlwind I, the world’s first computer that operated in real-time, was invented at MIT.
8. There is a state law that forbids snoring unless all of your doors and windows are locked.
Too bad for the unfortunate souls inside though.
9. This is a fig newton. It is delicious.
Mondelēz International and/or its affiliate(s)
Contrary to popular belief, it was not named after this guy.
10. Have a thing for greenery? Boston Common was the first public park in America.
11. Goatees are illegal unless you pay a special license fee to wear one in public.
12. The first Dunkin Donuts ever was opened in Quincy, Massachusetts.
Dunkin’ Donuts is a registered trademark of DD IP Holder LLC.