1. American Girl has sold a staggering 23 million dolls since the brand debuted in 1986.
That’s no small feat, especially when you consider a doll currently costs $110 (and that’s without any accessories). People are clearly crazy for American Girl dolls, but you might not realize JUST how crazy…
2. Welcome to the world of American Girl Stop Motion (also known as AGSM).
AGSM is a YouTube phenomenon where American Girl fanatics make films starring their dolls using the animation technique of stop motion. It’s a tedious process that requires taking thousands of photos and spending countless hours editing.
3. Some of the most popular films let us know that American Girls are just like us!
No School?!?!, the story of three American Girls who hurry to school only to discover it’s a teacher work day, has more than 1,625,354 views.
4. Other favorites remind us of the potential for greatness we all have inside.
Kenna’s Olympic Dreams has more than 632,287 views.
5. The deeper you dig into the world of AGSM, however, the weirder things get.
In Supergirls, three mutant girls must fight off a murderess villain intent on stealing their powers.
6. You may never sleep again after viewing The Spirit’s Haunting.
The plot: “Essence moves into an an abandoned home where an evil spirit tries to kill her as she sleeps.” Kit never had to deal with anything like that.
7. Cyberbully takes a harrowing look at the epidemic of cutting among today’s dolls, I mean, teenagers.
8. Not even the tragic cost of drunk driving escapes the lens of the AGSM community.
Disclaimer: No American Girl dolls were harmed in the making of this film.
9. Thankfully, the weirdness isn’t always so dark. It can also be pretty silly, like in this Gangnam Style parody.
How long do you think it will be before American Girl introduces a “Psy” doll? Never? Well, alrighty then.
10. If Gangnam Style isn’t your thing, you can enjoy these American Girls doing the Harlem Shake.
“Ey Shake, Ey Shake, Ey, Ey, Ey, Ey.”
11. There are also plenty of tributes to popular movies, like this one to Frozen and its “Do You Want To Build A Snowman” scene.
These videos ignore the fact Disney already makes actual Anna and Elsa dolls.
12. Probably the biggest favorite of the AGSM crowd is The Hunger Games.
You never knew how badly you needed to see the “pig shooting” scene with American Girl dolls until right now.
13. I don’t know about you, but this is all just a little too reminiscent of Chucky for my tastes.
We've got your WKND covered.
- A conservation group in Zimbabwe reported that Jericho, the brother of beloved lion Cecil, was shot and killed by a hunter. But some scientists monitoring the pride believe he is OK.
- Joe Biden has begun to "actively explore a possible presidential campaign," the New York Times reports.
- The trooper who pulled over Sandra Bland was disciplined for "unprofessional conduct" in the fall of 2014, records show.