The Newtown, Connecticut Labor Day parade has been a town institution since 1962. It’s the largest parade in the state and features over two hours worth or marchers.
When parade organizers met in February, only two months after the tragic shooting at Sandy Hook elementary school, the group decided this year’s event would go off undeterred, and today, the annual celebration happened without the usual police sirens or musket fire, but with a strong showing of strength and resilience from the still recovering community.
Here at the Labor Day Parade in #Newtown. Getting things started w/ a massive flag walking down Main Street
8. The Newtown High School band marches in the parade with green flags for Sandy Hook elementary
- Britain marks 10 years since 52 people were killed in terrorist attacks in London.
- European leaders are holding an emergency summit today to discuss Greece's debt crisis.
- The deadline for a deal on Iran's nuclear program was extended again, to the end of the week.
- Bill Cosby testified in 2005 that he obtained sedatives to give to women he wanted to have sex with, the AP reports.