1. The Associated Press and Iran’s IRNA report that police arrested two people who were seen singing and dancing in the music video for the song “Gole Iran” by Ajam.
2. According to Iran’s official IRNA news agency, Police Chief Col. Rahmatollah Taheri, who called the video “vulgar,” said the YouTube clip features scenes from outside and inside Iran, including the city of Shahroud, where the two were arrested.
6. Ajam is based out of London and describes their sound as Iranian roots music. In an interview with CNN about the song and the World Cup, the band said, “Everyone’s got the right mind-set in Iran right now. Everybody is super ready for the World Cup.”
According to the band’s bio posted on their website, Ajam’s music “tries to bring the epic and soulful spirit of the native music of Iran to a new generation.”
- President Obama apologized to Doctors Without Borders for the airstrike that killed 22 people at a clinic in Afghanistan. ›
- The U.S. Coast Guard said it will suspend the search for the crew of El Faro, the cargo ship that went missing in the Caribbean during Hurricane Joaquin last week. ›
- Tomas Lindahl, Paul Modrich, and Aziz Sancar won the Nobel Prize in chemistry for figuring out how cells repair DNA. ›