1. A raging fire broke out Thursday afternoon at a Kohr’s frozen custard store on the boardwalk at Seaside Park, N.J.
2. Firefighters battled the 10-alarm blaze for hours and the Seaside Park police chief declared a state of emergency, according to WABC.
3. The smoke plume quickly grew to be HUGE.
4. Gov. Chris Christie said 400 firefighters were battling the blaze, including 35 engine and 15 ladder companies. He said the rapid spread of the fire was due to high winds.
Christie said when he first heard about the boardwalk fire, “I said to my staff, I feel like I want to throw up.”
5. No injuries have been reported at this time. Roughly 50 businesses were damaged or destroyed, according to reports.
6. From the air, the fire appears to cover at least four blocks of the boardwalk.
7. Seaside Park’s boardwalk survived Hurricane Sandy, but underwent extensive repair this past year.
8. At 4:30 pm ET, firefighters were told to pull back due to the intensity of the flames, the Star-Ledger reports.
9. The Funtown pier structure on the boardwalk collapsed in flames.
- Planned Parenthood officials said they believed Friday's shooting at a Colorado Springs clinic was motivated by opposition to abortion. ›
- World leaders are gathering in Paris for the United Nations summit on climate change 🌍 ›
- And Kobe Bryant wrote a poem announcing that he's retiring from professional basketball at the end of this season 🏀🎭 ›