1. Bryce Dion, a 38-year-old crew member for the long-running TV series Cops, was shot and killed Tuesday night while filming a shootout between three Omaha police and an armed robbery suspect at a Wendy’s restaurant, police said.
3. Omaha Police Chief Todd Schmaderer said on Wednesday the robbery suspect opened fire first and the officers had no choice but to respond. The suspect, 32-year-old Cortez Washington, was also killed.
4. Omaha police revealed stills from a video of the incident and an image of the gun used by the suspect.
5. The suspect shot at police with a pellet gun that looked and sounded real, said Schmaderer .
6. Police said Dion was struck once in the Wendy’s entryway after Washington tried to flee the scene. He was wearing a bulletproof vest, but was hit in an unprotected area on the arm. Dion was shot by a police officer, the Associated Press reports.
“My concern with my officers is that they are taking this very hard,” Schmaderer said. “Bryce was their friend.”
8. Dion worked on Cops for seven years and had recently been promoted, the Los Angeles Times reports.
10. Cops premiered in 1989. After a 24 year run on FOX, the show was cancelled and recently picked up by Spike TV.
- Two University of Cincinnati officers who were on the scene shortly after Samuel Dubose was fatally shot have been placed on leave. The officer accused of killing Dubose has been released from jail after posting bond.
- An ultra-Orthodox man stabbed six people at Jerusalem's gay pride parade on Thursday.
- The new Apple TV will debut in September, along with its own App Store, sources tell BuzzFeed News.