1. The long-awaited trial of Whitey Bulger is finally underway in Boston. Day One included accusations of murder, intrigue, a stunning admission by the defense, sleeping jurors, and a story about assault with food from McDonald’s.
Bulger faces 32 counts of racketeering, extortion, money laundering and firearms possession, and allegations that he participated in 19 murders. Bulger fled Boston in 1994 and remained in hiding until he was captured in 2011 in California.
2. You’re going to wish you were in the courtroom.
24. Photos of Whitey Bulger’s 19 alleged murder victims were shown.
37. The trial will resume tomorrow!
- Former Virginia Gov. Jim Gilmore is dropping out of the race for the Republican presidential nomination. He got 133 votes in New Hampshire.
- MLB issued its first-ever lifetime ban for performance enhancing drugs to New York Mets' Jenrry Mejia.
- And how well do you know what happened in the news this week? Take our quiz.