1. Gus, New York City’s favorite polar bear, was euthanized on Tuesday after vets discovered that he had an inoperable tumor.
2. He was 27 years old and, according to the Central Park Zoo where he lived, he had seen more than 20 million zoo visitors during his lifetime.
3. Gus made headlines in 1994 for his repetitive swimming patterns that indicated he suffered from neurosis and depression.
4. But the public loved Gus for his quirks and became even more endeared to him after hearing about his troubles.
5. Though male polar bears in the wild are typically solitary creatures, Gus loved his partner Ida, and the two had a wonderful bond.
This is them in 2009.
6. Ida died in 2011 at the age of 25 from liver disease, leaving Gus with a broken heart. He was described as depressed and listless after her death.
Ida in 2010.