1. Venezuelan acting President and presidential candidate Nicolas Maduro
CARACAS, Venezuela — Tensions are rising in Venezuela as the campaign of acting President Nicolas Maduro strongly hints it has won Sunday’s election to replace the late Hugo Chavez. The opposition, meanwhile, suggests fraud is in the works.
Maduro campaign leader Jorge Rodriguez says he can’t reveal results before electoral authorities announce them. But he hints Chavez’s chosen successor has won by smiling and calling on people to gather at the presidential palace. That’s where Chavez’s supporters once gathered to celebrate his past victories.
3. Venezuelan opposition presidential candidate Henrique Capriles
4. Earlier today, Nicolas Maduro’s twitter account was hacked:
The Twitter account of Venezuela governing party candidate Nicolas Maduro was hacked around 6 p.m. as Venezuelans awaited the results of Sunday’s presidential election pitting the interim president against opposition leader Henrique Capriles.
Shortly after taking control of the account, which has more than 700,000 followers, the hacker cracked a joke:
“Thank you to all of those who follow me on this Twitter account,” the hacker tweeted. “I just got 700,000 followers in record time.”
5. The original tweet from Maduro’s account:
Muchas Gracias a tod@s l@s que me siguen en esta cuenta de Twitter acabo de llegar a 700 Mil Seguidores en tiempo rÃ©cord Un Abrazo a Tod@s..— NicolÃ¡s Maduro
7. Venezuela awaits election results:
Venezuela anxiously awaits election results. If the vote is very close, it could take a long time for authorities to name a winner.— William Neuman
8. UPDATE — April 14, 2013, 11:42 p.m. EST: Capriles is meeting with members of the country’s military high command.
CARACAS, Venezuela — A senior campaign aide for Venezuelan opposition presidential candidate Henrique Capriles says Capriles is meeting with members of the country’s military high command.
The meeting comes more than 4½ hours after polls closed in an election to replace the late President Hugo Chavez.
9. UPDATE — April 14, 2013, 11:52 p.m. EST: Maduro declared winner.
BREAKING: Venezuela’s Maduro wins presidency with 50.66 pct of vote, @AFP reports— BuzzFeed News
10. UPDATE — April 15, 2013 1:21 a.m. EST: Venezuelan opposition candidate Henrique Capriles demands a recount.
opposition candidate @hcapriles demanding a recount, not conceding defeat in #Venezuela— Elias Lopez
- [A Harris County, Texas, sheriff's deputy was ambushed Friday night when a man walked up and repeatedly shot him from behind. ›] (http://www.buzzfeed.com/jimdalrympleii/sheriffs-deputy-shot-dead-in-ambush-at-texas-gas-station)
- [Dominica Prime Minister Roosevelt Skerrit said that Tropical Storm Erika killed 20 people there, and set the island back 20 years from the damage. ›] (http://www.buzzfeed.com/stephaniemcneal/at-least-5-people-are-missing-after-tropical-storm-erika-thr)
- [Police are investigating the death of Jamycheal Mitchell, who was arrested months ago in Virginia for allegedly stealing about $5 worth of groceries. He was found dead in his jail cell last week. ›] (http://www.buzzfeed.com/jimdalrympleii/black-man-held-for-months-for-stealing-5-worth-of-snacks-fou)