1. UPDATED — April 2, 12:12 p.m. ET:
2. Shots were reportedly fired near a campus building known as Bowman Hall on Wednesday around 9 p.m. local time.
3. The shooting suspect was apprehended later Tuesday night off campus.
4. Kent University Assistant Director of New Media Communications tweeted the following report of a shot fired near Bowman Hall. Everyone on campus was told to “shelter in place” after the shots were fired.
5. The shots were fired into the ground, Mansfield said. No injuries were reported.
6. Someone who appeared to be on lockdown at the school posted a Vine of the scene:
7. Others tweeted about shots being fired on campus:
8. Officials said the shooting suspect was a black male wearing basketball shorts and carrying a silver handgun.
9. Campus sirens sounded:
10. Police with weapons drawn were reportedly searching the business administration building on the west side of campus:
Michelle Broder Van Dyke is a reporter and night editor for BuzzFeed News and is based in Hawaii.
Contact Michelle Broder Van Dyke at email@example.com.
In The News Today
- Doctors Without Borders says 19 people died after a U.S. airstrike caused possible collateral damage at a hospital in Afghanistan. ›
- The Catholic Church fired high-ranking Vatican official Monsignor Krzysztof Charamsa. He came out as gay on Saturday. ›
- Hundreds of rescue workers in Guatemala dug through rubble, searching for signs of life after a mudslide killed at least 56 people. ›