In this photo provided by Smithsonian’s National Zoo, the giant panda cub born on August 23 at the Smithsonian’s National Zoo receives a 10-minute exam from animal care staff on August 25 in Washington, DC.
2. The giant panda cub appeared to be in excellent health.
Vets say the cub’s heart rate is steady & its belly was full. They could hear breath sounds from both lungs. #cubwatch/ Via
4. The baby panda’s full belly means it is nursing well.
The cub is nursing & digesting well. It is very active, very vibrant & very pink. #cubwatch/ Via
Chief veterinarian Suzan Murray reports that the cub is robust and has successfully passed fecals.
6. The cub weighs 137 grams, which is the same weight as an iPhone 4.
The cub weighs 137grams, or about 4.83 ounces, which is normal for a newborn panda. #cubwatch/ Via
Zoo officials do not yet know the cub’s sex. It will take approximately 2-3 weeks before the sex is known.
- A conservation group at Oxford University told BuzzFeed News that media reports of Jericho's death were not true and that the 11-year-old lion was "alive and well".
- More debris – believed to be part of the missing Malaysia Airlines plane MH370 – has been found washed up on the Indian Ocean island of Réunion on Sunday.
- A Memphis police officer was shot dead on Saturday night while conducting a routine traffic stop, according to a statement from the Memphis Police Department.