1. Kern County Firefighters from Bakersfield, Calif., performed a unique rescue on June 20.
“A puppy was stuck in the middle of a rim and was brought to the station by a local resident,” the Kern County Fire Department wrote on Facebook. “Firefighters used cooking oil and creative ingenuity to free the puppy.”
3. Firefighters were able to slip the puppy’s head out of the hole with the help of a little vegetable oil.
The puppy, named Junior, is now home with its owner and seven siblings, the Associated Press reported.
- U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry will travel to Cuba later this summer for the opening of a U.S. embassy there.
- Nicholas Winton, who saved more than 650 Jewish children from the Holocaust, died at 106.
- Mozambique implemented a new criminal code that removes a colonial-era law criminalizing homosexuality.