1. Kern County Firefighters from Bakersfield, Calif., performed a unique rescue on June 20.
“A puppy was stuck in the middle of a rim and was brought to the station by a local resident,” the Kern County Fire Department wrote on Facebook. “Firefighters used cooking oil and creative ingenuity to free the puppy.”
3. Firefighters were able to slip the puppy’s head out of the hole with the help of a little vegetable oil.
The puppy, named Junior, is now home with its owner and seven siblings, the Associated Press reported.
- President Obama addressed the 54-member African Union, a first for a sitting U.S. president. The speech marks the end of his historic five-day trip to East Africa.
- The Boy Scouts of America has ended its ban on gay leaders, two years after lifting a ban on gay youth members.
- Boston is no longer pursuing a bid to host the 2024 summer Olympics.
- The Arizona Cardinals have hired the NFL's first female coach.