1. In Brazil, there are thousands of students who want to perfect their English speaking skills. Many miles away in Chicago, there is a retirement home full of men and women who would love someone to talk to. Sounds like a match made in heaven.
2. CNA language school network thought so too, and had the genius idea of bringing the two groups together to form what they call a speaking exchange.
3. Students in Brazil are matched with elderly men and women living in the US. For some of them, it’s the first time they’ve talked to someone from another country. For all of them, it’s a life changing experience.
4. The speaking exchange partners talk about all kinds of stuff: their families, their hobbies— some have even invited each other to come visit and stay in their homes.
5. … And they’re even able to fit in the occasional grammar lesson.
Here Are The Top Stories
- Uber has suspended its low-cost UberPOP service in France after protests last week.
- BP has agreed to pay a $18.7 billion fine to settle legal actions over the 2010 Deepwater Horizon oil spill.
- Liberia has reported three new cases of Ebola this week. The country was declared Ebola-free on May 9.