There’s no question that plants can be dangerous.
Such as Poison Ivy.
But don’t be fooled! The most unassuming plants are the most lethal.
Don’t believe me?
1. The deadly nightshade was the inspiration for the nightlock berries in The Hunger Games.
Pop the berries in your mouth and death will strike when you lose your voice, won’t be able to breathe, and start having violent convulsions. Imagine, one nom and you’re DEAD.
2. Water hemlock is can be fatally mistaken for parsnips.
A variant of the European hemlock that killed Socrates, water hemlock belongs to the same family as carrots and parsley. Keep it away from your salads, fools.
3. Just touching wolfsbane can kill you by asphyxiation.
The plant contains a truckload of aconitine, a.k.a. the Queen of Poisons, which can stop your lungs and your heart. More like “HUMANSBANE.”
4. Every part of the English yew is an evergreen death sentence.
5. If a cow eats white snakeroot, the cow’s milk will become poisonous.
In the 1800s, this milk sickness killed a lot of people, including Abraham Lincoln’s mother, Nancy Hanks Lincoln. Sounds like my favorite novel, Love in the Time of Lactose-Intolerance.
6. A bite of the dumb cane plant will paralyze your entire mouth.
Then your throat will close up, effectively choking you to death. DUMB CANE AIN’T SO DUMB.
7. A single castor seed has enough ricin to kill an adult human.
The plant and its little red balls of death are kept around for decorative purposes. IN THE SECOND CIRCLE OF HELL.
8. The scopolamine in angel’s trumpets can be turned into a hypnotizing dust.
A 2007 documentary called Colombian Devil’s Breath explains how thieves in Colombia used angel’s trumpets to make a zombifying powder that can be blown into victims’ faces. FLOWERY WITCHCRAFT.
9. Oleander is so toxic, even a whiff of its fumes is poisonous.
Burning any part of the oleander plant will release noxious poisons into the air. Smell that? It’s Death, the new fragrance by Nature.
10. Rosary peas are murderous beads full of abrin, a more lethal substance than ricin.
- California Republican Kevin McCarthy has dropped out of the race to be the next speaker of the U.S. House. ›
- The United Nations has proposed a national unity government for Libya after peace talks between the north African country's two rival factions. ›
- Walter Scott's family has reached a $6.5 million settlement with North Charleston, S.C., where the unarmed black man was fatally shot by an officer in April. ›