Roasting pumpkins is super simple. You’ll need to start with a sugar pumpkin, AKA a pumpkin pie pumpkin.
Though pumpkins begin to ripen in October, they’re usually available at most grocery stores through the end of winter.
2. Cut your pumpkin in half, then scoop out the seeds and stringy filling.
If you cut the pumpkin horizontally then you don’t even need to worry about the stem. Oh, and feel free to roast your pumpkin seeds while the oven’s warm!
3. Place the halves cut side down on a cookie sheet. Roast in a 350 degree, preheated oven for 70 to 80 minutes.
4. You’ll know the pumpkin is finished when the skin has gone dark orange and the skin has pulled away from the flesh.
Let sit for at least 20 minutes. The pumpkin will continue cooking.
5. Once cooled, you should be able to easily pull the pumpkin skins away from the flesh.
It’s important to fully cook the pumpkin, otherwise the skin will be much more difficult to remove.
6. Scoop the flesh off your pan and use in your recipe.
You can easily scoop it up with your hands or a fork and knife.
7. At this point you could either transfer to a food processor to make a pumpkin puree or use the flesh in chunks.
Roasted pumpkin puree is a must for an amazing homemade pumpkin pie or any number of dishes.
Here are 13 savory dishes to try using your roasted pumpkin:
8. 1. Pumpkin and gruyere grilled sandwiches.
Made with sourdough bread, seasoned with chili powder and paprika. Recipe here.
9. 2. Pumpkin sage soup topped with pumpkin, corn, and onion crispy cubes.
Use the roasted pumpkin in your soup, then slice up some of the pumpkin into cubes, dredge them in corn flour, onion powder, and nutritional yeast, and broil until crispy. Top your soup with the cubes and olive oil. Recipe here.
10. 3. Pumpkin ricotta lasagna.
Garnished with fresh parmesan and basil. Recipe here.
11. 4. Pumpkin sage and spicy sausage pizza.
Combine pumpkin puree with cream, stock, and seasonings for a yummy pumpkin pizza sauce! Recipe here.
12. 5. Pumpkin ravioli with broth and beans.
Cooking the soup with a parmesan rind gives it a mystery kick of flavor. Recipe here.
13. 6. Pumpkin orzo with sage.
Don’t cheat and use canned! Be sure to follow the instructions for using fresh roasted pumpkin in this recipe.
14. 7. Pumpkin garlic and leek soup.
Again, make sure to use your own puree with this delicious recipe.
15. 8. Pumpkin rosemary fritters.
Made with grana padano or parmigiano-reggiano cheese. Recipe here.
16. 9. Pumpkin and sweet onion quesadilla
Perfect lunch for a cold December afternoon. Recipe here.
17. 10. Pumpkin gnocchi.
They’re crazy easy to make, and don’t need to look perfect to taste delicious. Recipe here.
18. 11. Pumpkin knot rolls.
A basic yeast dough flavored with roasted pumpkin puree. Recipe here.
19. 12. Pumpkin and black bean burritos.
- Speaking of climate change, can you pass this basic quiz about it? ›