1. Prime Minister Tony Abbott has used a speech at The Australian’s 50th birthday party on Tuesday night to give his opinion about the media and journalism.
Paul Kane / Getty Images
3. Mr Abbott continued in a similar vein throughout the speech, recalling fond memories for the Murdoch-controlled newspaper.
4. It prompted some journalists from competing organisations to take Twitter with concerns about the pandering.
7. He toasted the room and then joined Murdoch and former Prime Ministers Paul Keating and John Howard for the remainder of the night.
8. And of course, no expenses were spared.
9. There were some who thought the whole idea, including #oz50 hashtag was a joke.
10. And others didn’t miss the chance to take the piss.
Here Are The Top Stories
- The Women's World Cup final is set: Team USA and Japan will play on Sunday ⚽️