1. Oscar-winning actress Emma Thompson has sent photographs from the Arctic calling on world leaders to take action on climate change, including Australia’s prime minister, Tony Abbott.
2. Thompson is on the trip with environmental activists Greenpeace and her 14-year-old daughter, Gaia Wise. Also on the trip are Canadian actress Michelle Thrush and her 14-year-old daughter, Imajyn Cardinal.
3. The 55-year-old star of Sense and Sensibility, Love Actually, and the Harry Potter series has travelled to the remote island of Spitsbergen to raise awareness of the melting of the Arctic glaciers.
4. Her work with Thrush and the Greenpeace ship Esperanza is being documented via the hashtag #SaveTheArctic.
5. And Thompson seems to be an absolute hit with the crew.
6. The group began the journey on Monday after a series of training exercises in London.
7. #SaveTheArctic is being closely followed by Thompson’s famous friends.
10. Speaking from the deck of the Esperanza, she told Greenpeace: “We’re told that it is our fault, global warming… But that simply is not fair. Most of us want cleaner lives, but our governments don’t make these things available for us.”
Mark Di Stefano is a breaking news reporter for BuzzFeed News and is based in Sydney, Australia.
Here Are The Top Stories
- More debris – believed to be part of the missing Malaysia Airlines plane MH370 – has been found washed up on the Indian Ocean island of Réunion on Sunday.
- A conservation group at Oxford University told BuzzFeed News that media reports of Jericho's death were not true and that the 11-year-old lion was "alive and well".
- A Memphis police officer was shot dead on Saturday night while conducting a routine traffic stop, according to a statement from the Memphis Police Department.