1. A video of young men burning a huge wooden effigy of New Zealand Prime Minister John Key has sparked finger pointing and recriminations less than six weeks from the country’s election.
The video shows young men, some wearing Guy Fawkes masks, dousing the Mr Key pyre with lighter fluid and then setting it alight, chanting “FUCK JOHN KEY!”
One person in the video can be heard saying, “At least John Key’s giving us one thing, and that’s warmth. Warmth for the next… 10 minutes.”
Another says, “(Key) is about to get fucking fried as.”
2. Mr Key went on New Zealand’s Breakfast program to link the video to the new Internet Party whose founder is Internet entrepreneur, Kim Dotcom.
“I just think New Zealanders will just sort of say that’s not the way we do politics in New Zealand, it may be the way that Kim Dotcom wants to do things,” said Mr Key.
He later clarified that he first saw the video on the Breakfast program and he thought the chanting in the video was similar to some catchphrases of the Internet Party.
3. Kim Dotcom took to Twitter to rebuke the claim.
5. And the Party had reportedly considered legal action.
- Takaaki Kajita and Arthur McDonald have won the Nobel Prize in physics for their discovery that neutrinos have mass. ›
- Russia is reportedly preparing to send ground troops to aid Syria's campaign against rebel forces. ›
- Grace Lee Boggs, Detroit activist and civil rights pioneer, has died at the age of 100, according to the Boggs Center. ›