Those people just left Gammy behind like he was nothing, like he wasn't a helpless baby, all because he has Down's Syndrome. Fuck
1. A six-month old Thai boy known simply as “Gammy” was abandoned by Australian surrogate parents when they discovered he had Down syndrome and a congenital heart condition.
Fairfax Media reports, 21-year-old Pattharamon Janbua was paid more than $12,000 to have surrogate twins for the Australian couple who had organised the commercial deal through a Thai agent.
According to Ms Pattharamon, the Australian couple asked her to have an abortion when they found out one of the twins would be born with down syndrome.
She refused because of her Buddhist beliefs.
It’s been reported the couple refused to take the twins, and instead took the healthy twin back to Australia.
2. Ms Pattharamon - who became a commercial surrogate to settle personal debts - has been left with the critically ill child in Bangkok. She reached out to several Thai charities for financial support.
3. The news of Ms Pattharamon and Gammy’s situation spread throughout Australia on Friday, leading to tens of thousands of dollars being pledged to the Thai woman and child through an online fundraising site called “Hope for Gammy”.
4. The largest pledge has come from a Bangkok-based fertility doctor Dr Pisit Tantiwattanakul, who is involved in surrogacy deals charging up to $42,000 for western couples.
5. Many of the other pledges come from those who have surrogate or twin children.
6. The fundraisers have told BuzzFeed, “We are overwhelmed and very grateful.”
It claims to be a “group of caring families who have been touched by the story”.
Following questions about how the money will be distributed, a spokesperson told BuzzFeed that it is establishing a trust fund and, “we are working with two Thai charities who are well known and trusted”.