1. According to reports, Brazil has opted not to renew national soccer team coach Luiz Felipe Scolari’s contract after its embarrassing final two games at the 2014 World Cup.
The coach nicknamed “Felipao” or “Big Phil” led the side to its worst ever World Cup performance with a 7-1 loss to Germany in the semi-final.
It was followed up with a 3-0 loss to The Netherlands in the third place play-off.
2. Scolari labelled the 7 - 1 loss to Germany “the worst day of my life” and it sparked national criticism about his methods.
3. He turned from hero to villain after previously taking Brazil to the 2002 World Cup title.
4. The Brazil FA is expected to make an official announcement including plans to rebuild the national team in the coming days.
- The Dutch Safety Board has released a final report of its investigation into why Malaysian Airlines Flight MH17 broke up over Ukraine in 2014. ›
- Condé Nast has acquired Pitchfork, the independent music website and magazine, for an undisclosed amount. ›
- Iran's parliament approved a deal on its nuclear program, which was agreed to in July following lengthy talks between six world powers. ›