1. According to reports, Brazil has opted not to renew national soccer team coach Luiz Felipe Scolari’s contract after its embarrassing final two games at the 2014 World Cup.
The coach nicknamed “Felipao” or “Big Phil” led the side to its worst ever World Cup performance with a 7-1 loss to Germany in the semi-final.
It was followed up with a 3-0 loss to The Netherlands in the third place play-off.
2. Scolari labelled the 7 - 1 loss to Germany “the worst day of my life” and it sparked national criticism about his methods.
3. He turned from hero to villain after previously taking Brazil to the 2002 World Cup title.
4. The Brazil FA is expected to make an official announcement including plans to rebuild the national team in the coming days.
- Robert L. Dear was identified as the suspected gunman in a fatal shooting at a Planned Parenthood in Colorado Springs. ›
- At least 15 people were killed after a suicide bomber attacked a Shiite Muslim procession of hundreds of people in Nigeria. ›
- And how well do you know what happened in the news this week? Take our quiz. ›