1. According to reports, Brazil has opted not to renew national soccer team coach Luiz Felipe Scolari’s contract after its embarrassing final two games at the 2014 World Cup.
The coach nicknamed “Felipao” or “Big Phil” led the side to its worst ever World Cup performance with a 7-1 loss to Germany in the semi-final.
It was followed up with a 3-0 loss to The Netherlands in the third place play-off.
2. Scolari labelled the 7 - 1 loss to Germany “the worst day of my life” and it sparked national criticism about his methods.
3. He turned from hero to villain after previously taking Brazil to the 2002 World Cup title.
4. The Brazil FA is expected to make an official announcement including plans to rebuild the national team in the coming days.
- Thai police arrested a man alleged to have explosives in his possession, almost two weeks after a deadly bomb blast in Bangkok killed 20 people. ›
- A Harris County, Texas, sheriff's deputy was ambushed Friday night when a man walked up and repeatedly shot him from behind. ›
- Dominica Prime Minister Roosevelt Skerrit said that Tropical Storm Erika killed 20 people there, and set the island back 20 years from the damage. ›