1. 17:00 AEST UPDATE: Asylum seekers given reprieve of at least 72 hours before they face being handed to the Sri Lankan government.
The government has told the High Court it will not return asylum seekers without 72 hours notice. Hearing is adjourned until Friday.
2. The asylum seekers are now in legal limbo.
3. Theoretically they could be at sea for up to 21 days.
4. Overnight, Australian refugee lawyers launched a spectacular last ditch appeal for 153 asylum seekers “whose precise location is unknown”, set to be sent back to Sri Lanka.
5. The High Court will decide this afternoon whether returning the Sri Lankan and Tamil asylum seekers violates Australia’s legal obligations.
6. The case of the “disappeared” has fired up progressives in Australia… including lobby group GetUp! who filmed a former Sri Lankan asylum seeker pleading with Immigration Minister Scott Morrison not to send them back.
8. And others people have reacted with disappointment…
9. Mostly by pinning the blame on the Immigration Minister.
- 26 people, thought to be refugees and migrants, were discovered in the back of a truck in Austria. ›
- Thai police arrested a man alleged to have explosives in his possession, almost two weeks after a deadly bomb blast in Bangkok killed 20 people. ›
- Kyle Jean-Baptiste, the first black man to play Jean Valjean on Broadway in "Les Misérables," died Friday. He was 21. ›