1. Once upon a time you wanted to be Hildy Johnson and/or Rory Gilmore.
Then you realized actual being on the student newspaper is NOTHING LIKE THE MOVIES and your Cary Grant is nowhere to be found.
2. You dream in AP Style.
That is, the nights when you actually GET to sleep.
3. When your source says they can’t comment until the morning after your deadline.
How convenient for you…
5. And when you ACTUALLY send a page to the printer with a typo…
OH THE HUMANITY.
6. When your editor asks you to add some more quotes to your story an hour before deadline.
7. Everyone keeps trying to tell you print journalism is dying, but you’re just like:
8. When copy editors starts messing with your headline.
10. The amount you know about your co-editors is obscene.
Including, but not limited to, their coffee orders, sleep/wake cycles, preferred pizza toppings, and relationship statuses.
11. When a fight breaks out in the newsroom during editorial and you just stare at your computer screen like.
12. When you hear other students complaining about pulling one “all-nighter” that only lasted until 2 a.m.
Bitch, please. I haven’t slept in 40 hours and I’m still cranking out headlines like a bo$$. Get on my level.
13. When a reporter doesn’t meet their deadline and tells you they’re sorry but they “just didn’t have time to write this week lol oops sry!”
NOT IN MY HOUSE.
14. You become immune to criticism.
Oh, look at that, another email from the administration ripping apart my article line by line! Yawn, how’s your Tuesday?
15. When all your friends pursuing business degrees are getting paid summer internships and you’re just sitting here fact-checking for free.
16. When you find out the managing editor and the photo editor are hooking up and you want to tell everyone.
But your source on this made you SWEAR TO SECRECY and who knows more about not burning a source than a journalist?!
18. When you’re iPhone decides not to record the killer interview you just did…
19. …or your computer crashes midway through transcribing a 40 minute interview.
why why why why why