2. Switzerland is a European country, located here.
They’re really good at banking, making watches, and chocolate.
3. This is Switzerland’s 10th FIFA World Cup appearance.
4. Their best performances were in 1934, 1938, and 1954, when they reached the quarterfinals.
Here they are playing against Italy in 1954.
5. So Switzerland has a long history in the World Cup.
And a long history of very bad haircuts.
6. Despite their past success, they were known for playing a defensive style of football.
And they were sometimes a bit boring, to be honest.
7. But things have changed and Switzerland is one of the most promising teams heading to Brazil.
They led an impressive qualifying campaign before the World Cup and won all 10 games. They were part of a weak group, but still.
8. They have a group of very talented players.
Such as Stephan Lichtsteiner, Xherdan Shaqiri and Josip Drmic.
9. Ottmar Hitzfeld, their coach, is a veteran with an impressive career.
He accumulated 18 major titles in his career, mostly during his tenures with Borussia Dortmund, Grasshopper Club Zürich, and Bayern Munich. He is planning to retire after the World Cup so he’ll want this one to count.
10. They got a lucky draft for the World Cup and will be part of the rather weak Group E, along with France, Ecuador, and Honduras.
Their first game is on Sunday. They’ll play against Ecuador.
- More than a dozen people were killed after severe storms and flooding swept through the French Riviera on Saturday evening. ›
- President Obama says the U.S. has launched a full investigation into the airstrikes that killed 19 people at a hospital in Afghanistan on Saturday. ›
- The Catholic Church fired high-ranking Vatican official Monsignor Krzysztof Charamsa. He came out as gay on Saturday. ›