1. Meet Kathleen Hanna.
Musician, activist, zinester, all-around feminist hero.
2. She was in Bikini Kill.
The mostly-female Olympia, Washington-based punk band quickly became iconic for their feminist stage antics and message, inspiring girls to make a name for themselves / destroy the patriarchy through what she called “riot grrrl.” In the ’00s, she was the leader of Le Tigre, and mixed the riot grrrl style with dance beats.
3. Meet Ad-Rock.
Also known as Adam Horovitz, he’s a musician, rapper and all around badass dude.
5. They’re married and are the world’s most perfect couple.
Sometimes the stars just align, ya know?
6. Like, you can believe in love because this exists.
We lost Kim and Thurston, but we will always have Kathleen and Adam.
8. Matching outfits that aren’t hella annoying!
And they’re both super political. Two people with big, forward-thinking ideas, they bleed positive vibes!
10. I imagine they have the best brunch conversations.
“So, hon, what do you think about [obscure awesome art thing]?”
It’s like they were put on this earth to make us think about things / change the world for the better. But also, they’re in love!!!
13. They’ve been involved since 1997.
And are still madly in love.
14. But were married in 2006.
It’s evident that they wanted to spend the rest of their lives together, but we’re hesitant to get married because again they are the best feminists ever. Kathleen once stated, ” I think marriage is pretty retrogressive in a lot of ways but when my health insurance ran out and getting hitched was the only way to have it again, I bit the bullet. I think the biggest compromise for me was less that it’s a patriarchal institution (Isn’t everything?) and more that I wanted to hold out till it was a right for everyone. But health insurance is pretty important and it just made sense for me to have it. I also happen to be completely in love with Adam and can’t think of anyone I’d rather be with. He really is the absolute love of my life.” Awwwwwwwww!
15. Together, they were basically the most important thing in the ’90s.
17. Here they are with Cey Adams.
He’s done creative work for the Beastie Boys in the past, but also Public Enemy, Biggie, Jay-Z and more. Basically awesome couple has awesome couple friends.
This is a photo of Kathi and Kathleen of Bikini Kill answering the “what’s the most memorable BK moment?” question. Kathleen says meeting Ad-Rock. It’s so sweet I can’t even.
- Cilla Black, the legendary English singer and TV star, has died at her home in Spain, according to local police. She was 72 years old.
- President Barack Obama will unveil climate change regulations at a White House event on Monday. The plan is considered to be "the strongest action ever taken" in the U.S. to combat climate change.
- A conservation group at Oxford University told BuzzFeed News that media reports of Jericho's death were not true and that the 11-year-old lion was "alive and well".