1. The Greater Manchester Police (GMP) reported their first emo hate crime this week, under a new category targeting alternative subcultures.
Attacks based on subcultural identity are now people treating like hate crimes against race, religion, disability, sexual orientation or transgender identity.
4. The new hate crime category comes after pressure from the Sophie Lancaster Foundation.
It’s a charity for the 20-year-old goth who died following an attack on her and her boyfriend in 2007. They were walking through Stubbeyless Park when they were both assaulted. Lancaster suffered severe head injuries and never regained consciousness. Her attackers were sentenced a year later; the judge recognized her death as a hate crime.
- Republican John Kasich and Democrat Bernie Sanders won the first votes of the New Hampshire presidential primary. Polls close at 7 p.m. ET 🇺🇸
- At least 9 people are dead and 150 others injured after two trains collided in Bavaria, Germany, local police say.
- The Pentagon has confirmed that North Korea successfully launched a satellite into orbit on Sunday night.