1. On the first day of NBC’s Olympic coverage, American hero Bob Costas got a terrible eye infection.
3. Monday night, it became apparent that the infection had spread.
4. Even though he had a sense of humor about it…
5. He’s been pulled in favor of Matt Lauer for tonight’s coverage.
“Reluctantly, I was trying to throw a complete game here, but I think we’re going to have to go to the bullpen, and I don’t know if you’re aware of this or not, but you’re Mariano Rivera, at least tonight. Let’s hope it’s only tonight. I’m walking around, I might as well be playing ‘Marco Polo.’ I have no idea where I am.”
Matt seemed nervous about the new position saying, “so I’m going to step in for you tonight? The master at Olympic prime time?” He then continued, “By the way, I’m going to be doing the shots of vodka in about 15 minutes.”
- Police in Athens used pepper spray on protesters two days ahead of Greece's major bailout vote.
- A medical helicopter crashed in Colorado. The crash killed the pilot and injured two crew members.
- Serena Williams survived an upset at Wimbledon and defeated current Britain's Heather Watson. She'll play her older sister Venus in the next round of the tournament ?