1. Root vegetables at Chez José
Chez Jose is a self-titled “vegetable forward” pop up out in South Williamsburg. Chefs José Ramírez-Ruiz and Pamela Yung are serving up a tasting menu in a tiny outpost on Havemeyer Street. The multi-course, mostly vegetarian, meal turns things like parsnips, sorrel, and butternut squash into the superheros of the night. It’s a dinner experience that will impress even the meat eaters. (They still exist right?)
2. Middle Eastern at Glasserie
The menu at Glasserie has ten vegetarian plates (I counted), plus four side dishes. Don’t despair, there’s also a sprinkling of lamby options. This hipster outpost, located along the waterfront in Greenpoint, is so good you’ll lick your fingers from the first appetizer: flaky bread and labneh, to dessert. Watch out.
3. French-ish at Le Pain Quotidien
Number three on our list is the never fail, tried and true: Le Pain Quotidien. This chain is a family style café with small tables and usually one or two large sweeping shared tables. The expansive menu will cover vegans, gluten frees, and meat eaters alike. Best of all, if you’re in New York, the calories will be listed alongside each item so that, along with pleasing your family, you can stick to your diet.
4. Perfectly manicured herbs at ABC Kitchen
The menu at ABC Kitchen is an ever-revolving showcase of local produce. Of course it better be, since the restaurant is just a few blocks from the Union Square Greenmarket. Right? Chef Dan Kluger creates endlessly perfect bites, like roasted kabocha squash toast, beet salad with housemade yogurt and an unexpected salad of roasted carrots and avocado that is good enough to order as your main course.
5. East Village Moroccan at Cafe Mogador
With thick pita bread the width of your forefinger, hummus thick enough to hold upside down, and haloumi, a grilled semi-hard cheese that is salty and chewy (in a good way), the food at Cafe Mogador is hearty, rich and satisfying. It’s also unique enough to keep going back, even when the menu doesn’t change. Also, if vegetarians find happiness in one thing, it’s cheese.
This post was created by a user and has not been vetted or endorsed by BuzzFeed's editorial staff. BuzzFeed Community is a place where anyone can post awesome lists and creations. Learn more or post your buzz!
- Planned Parenthood officials said they believed Friday's shooting at a Colorado Springs clinic was motivated by opposition to abortion. ›
- World leaders will meet in Paris starting Monday to discuss a potential global climate change agreement. ›
- "Victor Frankenstein" joined the ranks of 2015 films that opened in more than 2,000 North American theaters, but earned less than $4 million on opening weekend. ›