1. Patrick has a sister named Sam. She mostly makes grunting noises.
She came to visit him in the episode Big Sister Sam. See for yourself.
2. As of this year, SpongeBob is 27 years old.
According to his driver’s license, he was born July 14, 1986!
3. Patrick and Gary the Snail are first cousins.
Here’s the family tree to prove it.
4. Mr. Krabs was born in 1942, which makes him 71 years old.
This previously said 69 years old, I did the math wrong, now it’s corrected. But heck he looks good for 71.
5. The title of Season 4, Episode 20 was called “Best Day Ever.”
Think about it…
6. Stephen Hillenberg, the creator of the show, is a marine biologist IRL.
7. The voice of Karen Plankton, Jill Talley, is married in real life to the voice of SpongeBob, Tom Kenny.
8. Squidward is no squid. He’s actually an octopus.
Even though he has only six tentacles, the creators say he’s an octopus. They thought he “looked too burdened” with eight tentacles.
9. Patrick weighs only 2 ounces!
And he has pink hair.
10. The fish who always yells “my leg!” during moments of chaos on the show is named Fred.
11. A fungi discovered in 2011 was named after SpongeBob, and it’s called Spongiforma Squarepantsii.
14. And Johnny Depp as Jack Kahuna Laguna.
A lot of other people have done voice-overs too.
15. SpongeBob was originally called SpongeBoy, but that name was copyrighted by a mop.
Since they couldn’t use the name, they changed it to SpongeBob.
16. And this is a possible early sketch of SpongeBoy. He is basically the same but wore a green hat.
17. The Krusty Krab is actually a lobster trap:
Or a CRAB trap, since that’s where Mr. Krabs spends most of his time.
18. Bikini Bottom is an underwater city beneath the real island of Bikini Atoll.
The island is located in Micronesia. It was also the site of many nuclear tests done by America in the 1940s and ’50s.
- A judge set a $1 million bond for Ray Tensing, who was charged with murder for fatally shooting Samuel Dubose.
- The Taliban has appointed Mullah Akhtar Mansour as its new Afghan leader.
- Airplane debris discovered Wednesday "very likely" belongs to the same type of aircraft as missing Malaysia Airlines Flight 370.