1. This is The Smiler. It opens to the public on May 23rd.
2. It cost £18 million to build and boasts more loops - 14 - than any other ride in the world.
3. It has drops of 98ft, and reaches speeds of up to 52mph.
4. An Alton Towers spokesman said: “We want people to get off the ride and not know what is real.”
Katherine Duckworth, who helped design the ride, said: “There are five different mind effects, which are all designed to mess with your head. You shoot towards giant syringes, spinning hypnotic wheels, and flashing lights, among other things.”
Workmen take a break from working on The Smiler to recreate the famous “Lunch Atop A Skyscraper” photo of New York in the 1930s.
7. And here’s a preview video.
- Uber has suspended its low-cost UberPOP service in France after protests last week.
- BP has agreed to pay a $18.7 billion fine to settle legal actions over the 2010 Deepwater Horizon oil spill.
- Liberia has reported three new cases of Ebola this week. The country was declared Ebola-free on May 9.