1. This is The Smiler. It opens to the public on May 23rd.
2. It cost £18 million to build and boasts more loops - 14 - than any other ride in the world.
3. It has drops of 98ft, and reaches speeds of up to 52mph.
4. An Alton Towers spokesman said: “We want people to get off the ride and not know what is real.”
Katherine Duckworth, who helped design the ride, said: “There are five different mind effects, which are all designed to mess with your head. You shoot towards giant syringes, spinning hypnotic wheels, and flashing lights, among other things.”
Workmen take a break from working on The Smiler to recreate the famous “Lunch Atop A Skyscraper” photo of New York in the 1930s.
7. And here’s a preview video.
- Turkey's military released an audio recording of what it says were warnings to the Russian warplane before it was downed near Syria's border. ›
- Protesters marched in Chicago for the second night in a row after the release of a video showing the police shooting of black teen Laquan McDonald. ›
- And President Obama actually made his daughters laugh at the annual White House turkey pardon. ›