1. This is The Smiler. It opens to the public on May 23rd.
2. It cost £18 million to build and boasts more loops - 14 - than any other ride in the world.
3. It has drops of 98ft, and reaches speeds of up to 52mph.
4. An Alton Towers spokesman said: “We want people to get off the ride and not know what is real.”
Katherine Duckworth, who helped design the ride, said: “There are five different mind effects, which are all designed to mess with your head. You shoot towards giant syringes, spinning hypnotic wheels, and flashing lights, among other things.”
Workmen take a break from working on The Smiler to recreate the famous “Lunch Atop A Skyscraper” photo of New York in the 1930s.
7. And here’s a preview video.
- The U.S. will release Israeli spy Jonathan Pollard after 30 years. The move isn't tied to the Iran nuclear deal, American officials say.
- Officials released new footage proving Sandra Bland was "alive and well" when her mugshot was taken. The release aims to counter social media rumors that she was deceased in the photo.
- The NFL has upheld Patriots quarterback Tom Brady's four-game suspension for his alleged involvement with the deflation of footballs 🏈