We need to talk about Colin.
1. It all started when @SkyNewsBreak mysteriously tweeted this to their 902,000 followers.
2. They deleted it after about half an hour. But by then it was too late. The silliness had already been unleashed.
9. Then came the inevitable spoof account - which has already been suspended.
10. And the topical gags.
13. And then, as quickly as it had begun, it was all over.
14. Sky News released a statement.
Earlier today the @skynewsbreak twitter feed was hacked and a single message sent.
Action was swiftly taken and we are working with Twitter and our in house security to ensure this cannot happen again.
16. Then they revealed that they hadn’t been hacked after all.
Further investigation uncovered, to our relief, that Colin was in fact a ‘disaster recovery’ test message which accidentally went live. Apologies.
……no Colin was harmed in the making of this message.