2. Sure, we have a royal family, but we humiliate them at every turn
5. And then we wonder why The Queen always looks so unimpressed with us
7. So… this whole thing turned out quite well, didn’t it?
8. In fact, let’s just take a little moment to remember
9. On the subject of sporting heroes, it’s pretty cool that our greatest cyclist is a mod who loves Oasis, The Stone Roses and The Jam
You want to know how brilliantly British Bradley Wiggins is?
When he won Olympic Gold, the BBC asked him how he planned to celebrate. This was his response
10. OK, are we ready to talk comedy now? Where to start? How about Peep Show?
13. The League Of Gentlemen channeled the darkest and freakiest corners of the British psyche
14. Let’s not forget The IT Crowd
Yes, yes, technically written by an Irishman, but still.
15. Speaking of cult British humour, did we mention “Withnail And I”?
16. In fact, we British do a good line in rakish screen icons. Take this guy, for example
18. And not to brag, but British actors, from Hugh Laurie to Kit Harington to Damian Lewis, are completely owning US TV right now
19. Can we talk music? Here are a few things that should make you delighted to be British
22. This singer-songwriter
24. This album
25. This song
27. Other British heroes, beyond music? How about Alan Turing, the father of computer science, whose codebreaking skills helped win World War II
28. This chap is worthy of your admiration
32. Also, just look at this ridiculously cool World War II fighter pilot. What a dude.
His name is Francis Mellersh, and he remained in the RAF for another 30 years after this photo was taken.
33. The thing is, a lot of our heroes are lovably flawed. For example, the guy who wrote this
Fifteen years later, wrote this
34. And the guy who played drums on this
35. Other things to make your heart swell? Well, this goes without saying
37. In fact they’re so good we’ll put up with all manner of horrendous hardships, all in the name of a drunken good time
38. Our press, for all its flaws, is the liveliest you’ll find anywhere. In most countries, newspaper front pages look like this
39. Ours look like this
40. Meanwhile, our magazines have the most arresting cover lines
41. And our local newspapers have the most hard-hitting exclusives
45. And yes, OK, sometimes as a nation we can be a tiny bit shambolic
46. But we’re basically decent people. When rioters rampaged across London in 2011, we didn’t boil over with anger. We responded like this
47. We’re realistic about our place in the world. You have to be, when THIS guy is Mayor of your capital city
48. Fundamentally, we’re happy with who we are. We’re self-deprecating, and cynical, and we never, ever take ourselves too seriously
So go on, say it after me. It’s OK. Really. It’ll be our secret
There, that wasn’t so difficult now, was it?
- Greece will decide on Sunday whether they will accept austerity measures as a condition of a bailout that may stave off an imminent financial and economic crisis.
- Some 150 migrants stranded in the French city of Calais stormed the Channel Tunnel in an attempt to make it to British territory.
- It took a while, but an English national soccer team has finally defeated Germany in a major tournament. England took third place with a 1-0 win over the top-ranked German team in the FIFA Women's World Cup ⚽️
- Chile defeated Argentina on penalties to win the Copa America tournament. It's the first ever trophy for Chile in the 99 years of the Copa ⚽️