1. Their customers are brilliantly eccentric.
And they’ve been drinking there for years. Possibly since before they were old men.
6. You can usually find a meat raffle at them, which is obviously brilliant.
It’s a raffle. For meat.
7. They never care about being cool, so they just do whatever’s fun.
Even if, maybe, they’re not great at it. Like karaoke.
8. The decor is always unique. And actually unique, not the fake unique you find in hipster bars that actually all look the same.
10. And may include collections of beer labels that have clearly got massively out of hand.
13. One brand of which will be intensely local with an innuendo-laden name, and still be very nice.
15. The concept of the old man pub transcends international borders.
16. But the most important thing about old man pubs is that they’re always, always welcoming.
- 26 people, thought to be refugees and migrants, were discovered in the back of a truck in Austria. ›
- Thai police arrested a man alleged to have explosives in his possession, almost two weeks after a deadly bomb blast in Bangkok killed 20 people. ›
- Oliver Sacks, the famed neurologist and author, died Sunday from cancer. He was 82. ›