1. Meeting someone in real life who you’ve previously only stalked online.
And having to pretend you don’t know who they are and everything they’ve ever done.
2. Having a moment of mutual recognition with a stranger in the street, then realising you had been talking on Tinder.
Particularly if the conversation didn’t end well.
3. A stranger casually dropping a reference to something they clearly learned about you on social media.
Would you like to read my diary as well?
4. Getting a message online that you don’t want to reply to, then not posting anything for an extended period.
Can’t let them know you might have seen it.
5. Getting tagged in a Facebook post for something that you weren’t really involved in. Or interested in.
And getting notifications for EVERY SINGLE response.
6. Accidentally liking someone’s very old Instagram photo.
7. Accidentally liking someone’s Instagram photo, then, in your hurry to fix it, unliking it and accidentally re-liking it again.
8. Checking in on Facebook and having someone respond to tell you how close they are and how they could totally come and meet you.
And you not saying anything…
9. Getting stuck in a long Twitter conversation and having to just fave the other person’s tweets until it ends.
10. Your parents adding your friends on Facebook.
It’s fine, it’s fine, it’s not like…
11. Your parents adding your co-workers on Facebook.
Oh, for fuck’s sake.
12. Two completely disparate groups with VERY different opinions suddenly start having a conversation under your Facebook post.
“So this is the hippy I met at the vegan festival, and this is my war-vet uncle who owns a meat-processing factory. I’m sure you’ll get along swimmingly.”
13. Matching with someone on Tinder and realising that you already know them. Because you already slept with them.
So swiiiiiipe left? I mean, it was fun…
14. Discovering you posted something inappropriate while drunk and completely forgot about it for ages.
No one commented, so they probably didn’t notice, right? Right?
15. Replying to a tweet from someone you know, and them not replying or faving.
And your tweet just sits there, sad and alone.
16. Checking in on Foursquare, then realising that you accidentally linked it to your other social networks.
And now everyone else knows you use Foursquare.
17. Tagging someone in a Facebook post who doesn’t respond or even like it.
I know you saw it. You got a notification.
18. When you subsequently edit the post to remove the tag because it’s embarrassing that no one replied.
And have the tell-tale “Edited” note by the post for ever more.
19. Seeing someone try to use a QR code in real life.
20. Getting a voicemail. Any voicemail.
Just text, please. It’s not 2007.
21. Accidentally unfollowing someone then refollowing them, making them think you never followed them in the first place.
I did, honest!
22. Making a test Vine and accidentally posting it.
And then not realising for ages.
23. Getting a WhatsApp from someone and not wanting them to know you’ve read it, so trying to figure out the whole message from the preview.
- The Dutch Safety Board has released a final report of its investigation into why Malaysian Airlines Flight MH17 broke up over Ukraine in 2014. ›
- Condé Nast has acquired Pitchfork, the independent music website and magazine, for an undisclosed amount. ›
- Iran's parliament approved a deal on its nuclear program, which was agreed to in July following lengthy talks between six world powers. ›