1. Why didn’t Binx ever contact his parents after becoming a cat?
Given that Binx is only capable of meowing at the beginning of the movie, I have to assume his ability to vocalize human words was evolutionary, and that by the time he gained the ability, his parents were already dead.
2. Why didn’t the Sanderson Sisters simply put a spell on the Salem townsfolk?
They did place a spell on the townspeople when Bette Midler sang her fabulous rendition of “I Put a Spell on You”: they literally were vexed into dancing until they died, though, obviously, the spell was eventually broken when they were killed.
3. Or why not just turn everyone into a cat?
They never demonstrated that their magic worked on anyone but children, but if they turned everyone in town into a cat, they then wouldn’t have the ability to suck the souls out of children, as they’d be felines, and the townspeople would be able to disperse at a rapid rate, which would have been counterproductive to their primary goal.
4. What becomes of Winifred’s spell book?
It presumably returned to its dormant state.
6. What was up with Emily?
She was clearly hypnotized by the witches.
7. Why did Winnie resurrect her ex-boyfriend?
She leaves the dirty work to her henchmen (her sisters primarily) and presents signs she’s a psychological projectionist, so it makes sense that she’d have summoned Billy rather than taking care of Max and the gang herself.
8. What exactly do children smell like?
Herbal Essences? I don’t fucking know. What does any sort of mammalian prey smell like to the predator? No one knows for sure unless they’re the marauder.
9. Why didn’t the sisters use their potion on another child?
Because Dani was the most easily accessible child.
10. Did Jay and ICE ever make it out of those huge bird cages?
In the closing, it’s insinuated they didn’t. :\
11. Where were all the babysitters?
All of the adults in town were at the Halloween dance, which rules out adult babysitters, meaning it’d have been other children babysitting, and the sisters entranced every child/teenager in town; thus, the babysitters would have been hypnotized as well.
12. How did Winnie know what a driver’s permit was?
She spoke modern-day English fluently, even in the 1600s, which is really just an oversight by the writers.
13. How is Sarah’s hair curly in 1693, but straight in 1993?
14. Did Max follow through with his deal with Dani?
It’s irrelevant, though I’d have definitely loved to see Max in tights.
15. Why did the high school have a kiln/incinerator?
I was under the impression most schools have kilns… maybe that’s a side effect of white privilege.
16. Will Max die young?
In the film, the human soul is connected biologically to the physicality of a person, and given humans’ regenerative abilities, it’s safe to assume he recovered physically.