1. If you’ve seen one Baz Luhrmann movie, you’ve seen them all.
2. They’re all so heavy-handed. Dramatic lightning? For real?
5. And everything is LOUD. It’s enough to give you a headache.
8. Remember when Baz was like, “Oh, I know what Shakespeare’s classic love story needs: Jamie Kennedy with pink hair”?
9. “And I’ll make these ’90s teen stars use Shakespearean language. That won’t be awkward at all.”
11. It’s like, “I don’t know, Baz. Do YOU believe in directorial restraint?”
15. Is any of this crap even remotely necessary?
17. More platitudes. And people quote this garbage incessantly.
18. Her dying day is in like a minute. So emotionally manipulative. I can’t.
19. You want to talk about Australia? OK, let’s talk about Australia.
20. Like all his movies, it’s style over substance. But it’s not even good style.
21. It’s kind of shocking that a movie with this kind of hotness could be SO GODDAMN BORING.
22. At least in his other bad romances, the leads had chemistry. There is NONE here.
26. But these movies are silly, overblown, and occasionally unwatchable.
32. But then, what else do you expect from Baz Luhrmann?
In The News Today
- The top U.S. commander in Afghanistan called the hospital bombing that killed 22 people "a mistake." ›
- Takaaki Kajita and Arthur McDonald won the Nobel Prize in physics for their discovery that neutrinos have mass. ›
- In a Vanity Fair interview, Rihanna said Rachel Dolezal, who identifies as black even as her parents insist she was born white, "was a bit of a hero." ›