The Oprah Winfrey Network and a Michael Sam representative said Friday night that the documentary series has been postponed.
“After careful consideration and discussion with the St. Louis Rams, ‘The Untitled Michael Sam Project’ has been postponed, allowing Michael the best opportunity to achieve his dream of making the team,” Erik Logan, President of Oprah Winfrey Network said. “OWN is about elevating and empowering people to achieve their best. It’s clear that we, along with the world, recognize the important opportunity that Michael now has in this moment. We will continue to support him in his journey to earn a spot playing for the Rams.”
2. On Wednesday, the Oprah Winfrey Network announced a currently untitled multi-part documentary that will chronicle Michael Sam as he begins his career in the NFL.
3. As the first out gay player in the NFL, Sam’s attempt to earn a spot on the St. Louis Rams’ final roster will be the subject of much attention.
4. Oprah Winfrey says the network is “honored that Michael is trusting us with his private journey in this moment that has not only made history but will shape it forever.” She continued:
“I am proud of the focus on authentic storytelling in our new documentary series format. The next real-life story we follow in ‘The Untitled Michael Sam Project’ promises to spark valuable, important discussion on life in America today. Acceptance and illumination start here.”
5. Sam will be under considerable pressure to make the Rams, and Howard Bragman, Sam’s publicist and a producer of the show, made it clear that football remains Sam’s priority.
6. The show has started filming, but it does not yet have a premiere date.
- Police in Athens used pepper spray on protesters two days ahead of Greece's major bailout vote.
- A medical helicopter has crashed in Colorado. The crash killed the pilot and injured two crew members.
- Serena Williams survived an upset at Wimbledon and defeated current Britain's Heather Watson. She'll play her older sister Venus in the next round of the tournament ?