1. So you’re finding out that you’re a queer girl who also happens to be feminine.
Portia de Rossi, Amber Heard, and Raven-Symoné
But for some reason, this isn’t so easy for everyone else to understand.
2. When you come out to people, they genuinely think you’re kidding.
3. And when you convince them you’re telling the truth, they’re like, “But guys like you so much!”
4. You start to hit the bars to find a girlfriend, but guys are constantly hitting on you.
5. Even if you’re into guys too, straight dudes who hit on girls in lesbian bars are undoubtedly terrible.
6. And all of the girls ignore you because they think you’re straight too.
So you decide to change your look so you come across as “more gay.”
7. You try dying your hair to look more “edgy”:
But then you’re deemed “unprofessional.”
8. You think maybe you should cut off your hair and go for a more “soft butch” look:
But you’ll miss the braids! And it’s so cold!
9. Maybe you should be super SUPER feminine all the time.
But then you feel like you’re never allowed to just wear jeans and a T-shirt.
10. But no matter how you dress, guys keep telling you it’s a “waste” that you’re not into them.
And you’re still not getting hit on by girls, so you decide to just go for it and make the first move.
11. Which is seriously awkward, because, let’s face it, you’ve never learned how to hit on someone.
12. When you do finally establish contact, here comes the assumption that you’re just “experimenting.”
13. And, of course, you’re told that you can’t be politically involved in the queer community because you’re too conforming.
Believe me, it’s pretty transgressive to be feminine AND strong.
14. When you do finally get a girlfriend, everyone expects her to be butch.
15. And people are still constantly asking you why you dress that way if you’re into girls.
The answer will literally always be “I do it because I want to.”
16. That should be a good enough answer for anyone important, including yourself.
- Robert L. Dear was identified as the suspected gunman in a fatal shooting at a Planned Parenthood in Colorado Springs. ›
- World leaders will meet in Paris starting Monday to discuss a potential global climate change agreement. Here's what you need to know. ›
- Speaking of climate change, can you pass this basic quiz about it? ›